Sunday, June 24, 2012

Baby "Shower" tutorials: Ruffled Umbrella



Cute umbrellas right?!? Talk about the cheapest way to dress up an umbrella, this tutorial is AWESOME! Even if you aren't using the umbrellas for a shower, there are so many options. Just think, photo shoot :) These make for great props, and decor... So here it is :)

I bought a $3 umbrella from IKEA to make the white, orange, and pink umbrella. Any cheapo umbrella will work, after all, it's going to get covered up with super cute ruffles!

For the ruffles:
Since I used three colors, I bought 3 plastic table cloths. 97 cents at the dollar store. When you open the package don't open the table cloth all the way. Just unroll the table cloth so that it is long and skinny. Then cut 2 cut length wise every 2 inches. Now it's time to turn them in to ruffles!! Set your sewing machine on 5 (that's the highest mine will go), pull the thread through the needle giving you a little extra thread to pull on after you've sewed the ruffle. Keep a hold of the thread, then sew straight down the middle. After you've sewn down the middle you should be able to pull the string to make it as ruffly as you like. Mine ruffled easily without having to tug too much! Do this for all the strips.

Attaching the ruffles:
There are two ways to attach the ruffles, either use strong double sided tape, or use hot glue (that's what I did). I started at the bottom of the umbrella and worked my way up. You want to make sure to put the ruffles close enough together so you won't see the original umbrella.

And there you have it... a beautiful ruffly umbrella :) I'm also pretty sure you can use the umbrella in the rain, since the table cloths are plastic :)

Check out the next tutorial to learn how to make super cute/cheap coasters :)

1 comment:

  1. Mesmerizing! Best way to make the star of the evening feels on top of the world. I also got on cloud nine after getting a surprise treat on my birthday from my friends. One of the exotic NYC venues was hired by them and dishes were my entire favorite. Cake was funny design of shopping gal which is my nature I suppose.

    ReplyDelete